William and Janet Nicholl and their family were described in the embarkation and subsequent lists for the Blenheim as coming from Paisley. The family was listed as follows:
- William Nicholl, 47, labourer
- Janet Nicholl, 35
- John Nicholl, 18, labourer
- William Nicholl, 16, labourer
- Charles Nicholl, 13
- James Nicholl, 10
- Janet Nicholl, 8
In all lists their name was spelled “Nicholl”. However, in most documents prior to departure and subsequent to their arrival in New Zealand the spelling “Nicol” was used.
Return to The Blenheim People.
William Nicol and Janet Jamieson
William Nicol was born around 1793, and Janet Jamieson around 1805.
The Old Parish Register for Paisley High Church, Renfrew, for October 1804, records that a Janet Jamieson, legal daughter of John Jamieson and Janet Cochran, was born 22 ult. and baptized 5 inst, i.e. she was born on 22 September 1804.
The Old Parish Register for Paisley High Church, Renfrew, records the proclamation of William Nicol and Janet Jamieson, both in this Parish, on 17 June 1821, and the payment of one shilling for three proclamations. The proclamation of banns was the notice of contract of marriage, read out in the Kirk before the marriage took place. Couples or their ‘cautioners’ (sponsors) were often required to pay a ‘caution’ or security to prove the seriousness of their intentions. Forthcoming marriages were supposed to be proclaimed on three successive Sundays, however, in practice, all three proclamations could be made on the same day on payment of a fee.
William Nicol was described as a labourer of 47 when he emigrated to New Zealand. William Nicol, Pipitea, labourer, was included on the list of persons qualified to serve as Jurors for the district of Port Nicholson in 1845, and in the 1847 to 1849 lists he was described as a tapkeeper, Lambton Quay.
Janet Nicol died on 19 October 1848. The Wellington Independent of 25 October 1848 carried the following report:
Died.—At her residence, Lambtonquay, on Thursday last, Mrs. Janet Nicol, aged 43 years.—An Inquest was held the following day at Barrett’s Hotel, on view of the body, before J. Fitzgerald, Esq., M. D., Coroner.—Mr. Nicol being called in stated, on Thursday the 19th instant, I found my wife lying on the floor (about 3 o’clock) apparently in a fit, but unfortunately she was dead; she had not five minutes before served the coxswain of the Fly’s gig, with a bottle of grog; when I went into the room she was lying on the floor amongst broken dishes and water, which must have been capsized at the time she had fallen by the severe shock of an earthquake the large cask in which we kept our, water having been upset. The Jury after a short consultation returned a verdict, died of apoplexy.
The Wanganui Chronicle of 19 March 1878 carried the Death Notice: “Nicol – On the 17th inst., at the residence of his son, Mr Charles Nicol, Marton, William Nicol, formerly of Paisley, Scotland, aged 80 years. The funeral will take place today, at half-past 2 p.m.”
John Nicol was described as a labourer of 18 on the Blenheim passenger list.
The Old Parish Register for November 1821 for Abbey, Renfrew, recorded that John, son of William Nicol and Janet Jamieson was born on 21 October and baptized on 18 November.
The following information remains to be confirmed as applying to this John Nicol.
New Zealand BDM records show the marriage of a John Nichol and E Rori Kapiti on 4 November 1841. The records also show a birth, name not recorded, parents Betty and John Nicol, on 17 June 1848.
The Wellington Independent of 24 April 1847 published a Notice from the Treasury, Wellington, dated 23 April 1847, giving notice of the issue of Special Publican’s Licences to, among others, John Nicol, Pukarua [Pukerua?]. A John Nicol was also included in the list, published in the Wellington Independent of 13 August 1853, of Gentlemen who had consented to act as a Committee to secure the return of W B Rhodes, Esq., to represent the Wellington Country District in the General Assembly. The Electoral Rolls for Wellington and Wellington Country for 1853-64 included a John Nicol, Paekakariki, publican, qualification a household near Wainui.
The Wellington Independent of 16 September 1869 carried a lengthy report of legal proceedings relating to the lease of an accommodation or public house at Paekakariki, on land owned by Betty Nicol, the Maori wife of John Nicol – apparently known as “Scotch Jock”. The Nicols lived at Waikanae.
William Nicol was a labourer of 16 on the Blenheim passenger list.
William Nicol Jnr, Lambton Quay, servant, was included on the list of persons qualified to serve as Jurors for the district of Port Nicholson in 1847.
The New Zealand Spectator and Cook’s Strait Guardian of 9 July 1847 carried a report of a case in the Resident Magistrate’s Court where William Nicol appeared on a summons to answer the charge of having refused to support the male infant of Caroline Gooden, of which it was alleged he was the father.
The New Zealander of 9 April 1851 published the list of applications for Publicans’ Licenses, noting that if they were all to succeed the number of public houses in Auckland and its neighbourhood would be nearly doubled at once, and suggesting that they should be as much as possible confined to the leading thoroughfares since “In the back and little frequented streets they too frequently become rather nuisances and receptacles of vice.” William Nicol, Black Bull, Albert St, was on the list of new applicants. In 1855, William Nicol, Masonic Hotel, Princes street, was on the list of applicants.
William Nicol married Jane Harriet Brown on 9 April 1853 in Auckland.
The Electoral Rolls for Auckland, Southern Division, for 1853-1864 included William Nicol, Princes street, hotel keeper, freehold estate.
William Nicol retired from the Masonic Hotel in 1869, the occasion being recognised by the United Service Lodge of Freemasons, as reported in the New Zealand Herald of 1 April 1869.
Jane Harriet Nicol died in 1875 aged 49. The Daily Southern Cross of 12 August 1875 carried the Death Notice: “Nicol – On August 10, at her residence Grey-street, Harriett Jane, the beloved wife of Mr William Nicol, aged 49 years.”
The Wanganui Chronicle of 2 May 1877 noted, “We regret to learn that Mr William Nicol, eldest brother of Mr Charles Nicol, of Marton, died at Auckland on Friday last. He was for some time the proprietor of the Masonic Hotel at Auckland, but retired into private life some time ago.” The Auckland Star of 27 April 1877 had carried the Death Notice: “Nicol – On the 27th instant, at Grey-street, Auckland, William Nicol, in the 56th year of his age.”
William and Harriet had at least seven children:
- William Henry Nicol, born in 1855, died in 1880, married Rachel Darby in 1875.
- Emily Elizabeth Jane Nicol, born in 1856, married Edgar Patteson Hulme in 1876.
- Frederick Thomas Nicol, born in 1858, died in 1927.
- Harriet Annie Nicol, born in 1859, died in 1887.
- James McNeill Nicol, born in 1861, died in 1904.
- Alfred Alexander Nicol, born in 1863, died in 1947.
- Lucy Isabella Nicol, born in 1865, married Donald Alexander McLeod in 1893.
Charles Nicol was 13 when he set out with his family on the Blenheim in 1840.
Charles Nicol and Catherine Jane Murray were married on 20 April 1852 at Wanganui.
In 1865 Charles Nicol founded a bakery business in Marton, which was taken over by his son John Murray Nicol in 1895.
The Wanganui Chronicle of 5 April 1883 included the Death Notice: “Nicol – On the 3rd April, at Marton, Charles Nicol (brother to Mrs. John Cudby, Lower Hutt), aged 55 years.” An obituary was published in the same issue:
THE LATE MR NICOL.
The funeral of the late Mr Charles Nicol took place yesterday afternoon at the Mount View Cemetery, near Marton. The burial service over the grave was performed by the Rev. Mr Stewart and a great number of friends from Wanganui and all parts of the district paid a last tribute of respect to the memory of the deceased by attending his funeral rites. The late Mr Nicol was a very old and respected settler. He came to Port Nicholson in 1840, in the good ship Blenheim (Captain Gray), which landed its passengers at Kaiwarra. Amongst Mr Nicol’s fellow-voyagers were Captain Cameron, of Marangai, Mr Gregor McGregor, and many other of our leading settlers. Mr Nicol learned the trade of baker in Wellington, and in 1848 came to Wanganui, and was employed to bake for Messrs Taylor and Watt. He subsequently became the possessor of the property in Wickstead Pace now owned by’ Mr Henry Churton and here he carried on his business very successfully for many years, during which he held the bread contracts for the troops stationed in Wanganui. Misfortunes, however, came thick upon him due to his own easy good nature, and the misplaced confidence he reposed in his friends. Taking his large family with him, Mr Nicol went some years ago to try his fortune in the new and rising township of Marton, and there he remained until his death on Tuesday last, at the comparatively early age of 54. Mr Nicol leaves behind him many children, all of them growing up, and having before them every prospect of doing well. As a man and a citizen the deceased gentleman was greatly respected, and he will long be missed by his old friends who knew his amiability of temper, unfailing good nature and sterling worth.
Catherine Jane (Murray) Nicol died on 16 July 1919 at Marton, aged 89.
Charles and Catherine had at least six children:
- Mary Nicol, born in 1853, died in 1926, married Thomas Stoddart Lambert, architect, in 1871.
- Janet Nicol, born in 1854, died in 1919, married John Aitken in 1876.
- John Murray Nicol, born in 1861, died in 1918, married Emma Sophia Bensemann in 1883.
- Margaret Kate Nicol, born in 1868.
- Annie Harriet Nicol, born in 1869, married William Williams in 1903.
- Ellen McFarlane Nicol, born in 1871, died in 1954, married Robert Joseph Carter in 1895.
James Nicol was 10 years old in 1840 when he sailed on the Blenheim to New Zealand with his family.
James Nicol and Isabella Smith were married on 5 March 1861.
James Nicol died in 1918. The Wairarapa Age of 23 October 1916 carried the following obituary:
MR. JAMES NICOL. Another of the very early settlers of New Zealand, in the person of Mr James Nicol, passed away at his residence in Church Street, Masterton, about eight o’clock on Saturday morning. The deceased, who had reached the great age of 85 years was born in Paisley, Scotland, in 1831. With his parents he arrived in Wellington in the ship Blenheim on Christmas Day, 1840. When quite a lad he became associated with horses, and was employed for some time in the stable of the late Dr. Fitzgerald. He afterwards had the mounts on the j horses of Mr St. Hill. In 1846 he rode the mare Bella at Bunham Water, Wellington, and was just defeated on the post. In 1847 he rode the winner of the Te Aro Steeplechase. Later he owned Retribution, the winner of the first New Zealand Steeplechase, since called the Grand National Steeplechase. He also owned the stallion Riddlesworth, one of the first thoroughbred horses to be imported to the Dominion. In 1852 he went to Australia, and was present at the Bendigo gold rush. For a number of years he drove cattle for Wairarapa settlers round the. “Rocks” to Wellington, before the road was constructed over the Rimutaka. Subsequently he became part owner, with the late Mr Hume, of the Blairlogie station, and later resided at the Lower Taueru. In 1870 he came to Masterton, where he has resided ever since. He owned for many years the freehold of the Empire Hotel and possessed other property interests in the town. He was a splendid judge of horseflesh, and a skilled veterinarian. He was the oldest vestryman of St. Matthew’s Church, and was scrupulously conscientious in all his dealings. He was a member of the Scotch Lodge of Freemasons, and was a Sergeant in the Cavalry in the early days. In 1862 the deceased married Miss Isabella Smith, daughter, of the late Mr John Smith, one of the earliest engineers in Wellington. He leaves a widow, two daughters, and four sons The daughters are. Mrs Vincent Hooper (Auckland) and Mrs W. C. Cargill (Morrinsville). The sons are Messrs John Nicol (Te Aroha), George Nicol (Picton), Private Arthur Nicol (on active service), and Mr Len. Nicol, jeweller, of Masterton. The deceased was highly respected by all with whom he was acquainted, and his death will be deeply, regretted. The funeral takes place to-morrow (Tuesday) afternoon, at 3 o’clock.
James and Isabella had eight children:
- William Smith Nicol, born in 1863, died in 1865.
- Harriet Jane Nicol, born in 1864, died in 1941, married Vincent Hooper in 1885.
- John Robert Nicol, born in 1867, died in 1959, married Elizabeth Barratt in 1892.
- George William Nicol, born in 1869, died in 1943, married Katrina Neilson in 1903.
- Isabella Emily Nicol, born in 1871, married William Clement Cargill in 1894.
- Frederick James Nicol, born in 1873.
- Arthur Charles Nicol, born in 1876, died in 1941, married Lillian May Jackson in 1900, divorced in 1910, married Caroline Fanny Whyatt in 1920.
- Leonard Spencer Nicol, born in 1883, died in 1950, married Stella Maud Clark in 1919.
Janet Nicol was 8 when she travelled to New Zealand on the Blenheim in 1840.
BDM records show the marriage of Jane Nicholl to John Francis Cudby on 9 November 1849.
John Francis Cudby was born on 28 February 1830 in Ingrave, Essex, England, to John Cudby and Henrietta Clampin. He emigrated to New Zealand in 1842, aged 13, on the Thomas Sparks. John’s brother Charles also emigrated to New Zealand in 1857 on the William and Alfred.
John Cudby established a contracting business for earthworks and construction, then added a coaching business, which was taken over by his sons George and Walter.
Janet Cudby died in 1907 aged 74. The Manawatu Standard of 2 November 1907 published the following obituary:
Mrs Janet Cudby, a much-respected resident of the Lower Hutt, died at the family residence yesterday morning, aged 74. The deceased lady, who is survived by her husband, Mr John Cudby, had lived in the Hutt district for a great many years, and went through all the trials of the early settlers. She had been ill for some time. The members of her family have been identified with the Hutt all their lives, and with their father have taken a prominent part in the development of the district.
John Francis Cudby died in 1920, at the age of 90. The Evening Post of 8 June 1920 carried the Death Notice: “Cudby – On the 8th June, 1920, at his late residence, Railway-avenue, Lower Hutt, John Francis Cudby, relict of the late Janet Cudby, in his 91st year. R.I.P.” The paper also had the following obituary:
MR. J. F. CUDBY
An early settler, who grew up with the Hutt district, Mr. John Francis Cudby, died at his residence, Railway-avenue, Lower Hutt, early this morning. Mr. Cudby’s interests from early youth had been in the Hutt Valley, and his history was the history of this fertile district. No one could tell its history better than he himself, for he had experienced the events and times of which he spoke and remembered them, even when he had reached the age where, with many men, the memory becomes dim. He was born in Essex in 1828, and came out to New Zealand with Lord Petre as a lad in 1843 in the ship Commerce Sparks. From the time of his arrival in the country to the day of his death, he resided at Lower Hutt. At first he lived and worked on the Woburn estate. Afterwards he became the owner of large livery stables near the railway station. He retired from active participation in the business some forty years ago, but continued to take a very lively interest in the affairs of the district. He possessed the hard, commonsense which was a distinguishing trait of many early settlers, and this made him a valued member of the Lower Hutt Borough Council for many years. He was also a member of the Licensing Committee, and as a Justice of the Peace for over thirty years was a familiar figure on the Hutt Magistrate’s Court Bench. He resigned from the Commission of the Peace two years ago. In the early days of the Wellington Racing Club he held the office of Clerk of the Course. In friendly society work he was a staunch supporter, and he held the record of seventy years’ membership of the Oddfellows Lodge. Mr. Cudby enjoyed good health, in spite of his years, until two years ago. He leaves a family of five sons and three daughters. The sons are: James, living at Lower Hutt; Charles, at Dannevirke; Henry, Alfredton; George, Rangiora; and Walter, Lower Hutt. The daughters are Mrs. J. Fleet, Petone; Mrs. Turner, Lower Hutt; and Mrs. E. D. Dunne, Wellington. Mrs. Cudby, who was also an early settler, having come out from Paisley, Scotland, in the Janet Nicol [sic], died twelve years ago. At the meeting, of the Hutt County Council this morning, a motion of sympathy was passed with the deceased’s relatives, the members standing as a mark of respect.
Jane and John had nine children:
- James Cudby, born in 1852, died in 1923.
- William Cudby, born in 1851, died in 1908, married Emily Frances Rivers in 1883.
- Charles Cudby, born in 1854, died in 1942, married Emma Catherine McIntosh in 1882.
- Emma Frances Cudby, born in 1858, died in 1941, married Joseph Frederick Fleet in 1884.
- Henry Cudby, born in 1860, died in 1946.
- George Cudby, born in 1862 (registration 1913), died in 1934, married Jane Muirhead in 1896.
- Henrietta Cudby, born in 1864, died in 1955, married James Turner in 1890.
- Walter Thomas Cudby, born in 1868, died in 1926.
- Ada Winifred Cudby, born in 1871, died in 1958, married Edward Dowling Dunne in 1898.
- Blenheim passenger lists at FamilySearch website
- Family trees and electoral records on Ancestry.com
- ScotlandsPeople website
- PapersPast website
- NZ BDM records
- Information from familytreecircles website