The McLellans were included with the additional names at the end of the initial passenger list for the Blenheim and were also on the subsequent lists:
- Archibald McLellan, 30, Morvern, labourer
- Christina McLellan, 27
Return to The Blenheim People.
No information has been found relating to Archibald and Christina McLellan in Wellington. However, family tree information on Ancestry.com suggested that they moved on to Australia and this has been confirmed through BDM registrations.
Archibald McLellan was born in Inverness, Scotland around 1806, and died in Molong, New South Wales, Australia, on 5 December 1867, aged 61. Christina McLellan was born around 1810 in Inverness Scotland, to Donald McLellan, a fisherman, and Annie McDougal. She died at Judds Creek, Rockley, New South Wales, on 16 June 1895 of influenza, aged 85.
Archibald and Christina were married in Invernesshire, Scotland, around 1840, when Annie was 30, so this would have been shortly before the departure of the Blenheim. Christina’s death registration also reports that she had lived in New South Wales for 55 years at the time of her death.
Newspaper reports of the death of Archibald and Christina’s son John McLellan in 1920 suggest that he was born in New Zealand, came to Australia in his youth, and was for many years a farmer in the Rockley district of New South Wales at Judd Creek. His death registration confirms that he died on 26 October 1920 at Perthville, New South Wales, and was a grazier aged 78; his parents were Archibald McLellan, schoolteacher, and Christina McLellan; and that he was born in New Zealand and had been 70 years in New South Wales.
The death registration information for Isabella (McLellan) Writer, who died on 6 May 1924 aged 76, indicates that she was born in Bathurst, New South Wales. The informant was her grandson Charles E Heath, Bathurst The death registration for Christina (McLellan) Pearce, who died on 22 October 1933, aged 79, gives her place of birth as Wellington, NSW (which is near Molong), and her parents as Archibald McLellan, grazier, and Christina McLellan. The informant was her son-in-law, J W Sharwood, Bathurst.
Archibald and Christina appear to have had five children:
- Annie McLellan, born in 1841.
- John McLellan, born in 1842, died in 1920 in Australia, married Mary Jane Hobbs in 1896 in Australia.
- Isabella McLellan, born in 1848, died in 1924 in Australia, married John Writer in 1871.
- Mary Josephine McLellan, born in 1849, died in 1939 in Australia, married John H Jones in 1869.
- Christina McLellan, born in 1854, died in 1933 in Australia, married John Pearce in 1875.
- Blenheim passenger lists at FamilySearch website
- Family tree information on Ancestry.com
- New South Wales BDM records.
- Trove website of Australian newspapers.